Much has been said and written about women’s designer bags. Researches and studies have been carried out to solve the mystery of the relationship between a woman and her handbag. Even though you can think that there is not much to know in this area, you can be wrong.
Women love handbags. Today, the number of manufacturers of handbags have gone up and you will see designer handbags by the plenty. However, what is it that makes them special for women?
To put it simply, handbags are no ordinary objects. They have a controversial history as well. Here are some facts about women’s designer bags that are less known and equally interesting.
1. Measure of sexual appeal: Ever used the phrase ‘old bag’ and wondered how it came into existence? Well, earlier women used to carry their belongings in a pouch or purse kept beneath her dress or in a pocket unrevealing. At that time, it was considered vulgar and ridiculous for a woman to have a visible pocket. The phrase ‘old bag’ is a part of that legacy. It refers to a woman beyond her sexual prime.
2. Made from silk: The earliest idea of a handbag was a simple pocket or a pouch worn next to the skin for safety. The pockets were regarded as intimate as underwear, worn in secret places that could only be reached by a slit in the skirt.
3. Relationship Insecurity: It has been found out in several studies that the women possessing more luxurious and expensive handbags are more insecure about their relationship. They are trying to send a message to the other women that their man is not available for anyone else. The feeling that a relationship is being threatened by another woman automatically triggers women to want to flash Gucci, Christian Dior, or Fendi to other women. Thus, handbags also keep the men from straying away.
4. Men vs. Women: Based on a survey in 2007, men are actually more likely to choose a designer bag based on its brand than women. Well, this is reasonable, right? Men do not want to get into the design. For men, the theory is simpler – the more popular the brand, the better is the handbag.
5. General facts: It is said that the average woman owns 6 handbags. The average women’s handbag weighs 5.2 pounds. 22% of women said if they could only splurge on one designer item, it would be a handbag. Only 9% said they would choose shoes. Still not a obsession?