The types of food you consume during pregnancy have a significant role to play in ensuring healthy pregnancy. Not all things are good for the stomach especially for the pregnant. The importance of eating well-balanced meals cannot be over-emphasized in the life of a pregnant woman. Eating a well balanced diet does not have to put a hole in the pocket. It just means taking the essential nutrients of carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins and minerals in the right proportions. Stay away from the following food during pregnancy:
- Raw Eggs: Try to avoid eating raw eggs or any raw-egg containing foods. These may contain bacteria causing food poisoning known as salmonella. Salmonella is associated with diseases like typhoid fever and gastroenteritis. General advice is that pasteurized eggs are better in food recipe than the unpasteurized. If there is any doubt about the state of the eggs used, it is best to avoid using them.
- Raw Meat: All uncooked and rare beef, pork, chicken meat or even sea foods should be steer clear. All these foods can expose you and your baby to salmonella; coli form bacteria, brucellosis and all kinds of dangerous micro-organisms.
- Soft Cheese: Avoid all soft unpasteurized cheeses. They may contain a strain of bacteria called listeria. Listeria is rod-shaped aerobic parasitic bacteria. Listeria causes a disease known as listeriosis. Listeriosis is a life-threatening disease that can cause fever, meningitis, miscarriage, or premature birth in pregnant women.
- Deli Meat: Avoid eating deli meats known to be contaminated with listeria which may cause miscarriage and sometimes, premature birth. This is the same reason you should avoid unpasteurized milk, refrigerated pates and meat spreads.
- Liver: As good as the liver is to the body, pregnant women should not eat large quantities of it. Liver is very rich in iron and vitamin A. High level of vitamin A can be harmful to the baby. Therefore, consume less of liver while pregnant.
- Alcohol: Get this right and straight. There is no level or amount of alcohol that is good or safe for pregnancy. So, avoid alcohol at all cost. If you have been consuming alcohol before conception, stop it. There should be a total abstinence from alcohol even at post-parturition. Alcohol will do your child no good. Alcohol consumption at pregnancy can result into child abnormalities and defects.
- Mercury-Rich Fish: Fish like king mackerel, shark, swordfish and tilefish are rich in mercury. Mercury consumption at pregnancy has been associated with brain damage and developmental delays in babies.