Real Facts about GPS:
1. GPS is the shortened form of the navigational method known as Global Positioning System
2. There was remarkable cooperation between the United States Department of Defense and Dr. Ivan Getting from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) that created GPS.
3. At first, it is used by the US military to locate the US military position worldwide and was not authorized for the public uses. Not after 1983, the it is made available to public.
4. There were 11 satellites to support the GPS initially but due to the increasing demand and need for advanced features, 13 more satellites were launched to make it total 24 satellites in the sky.
5. It has a map installed to track the location on the map.
6. It can tell about your location on the map as well as your speed, altitude and compass information.
7. GPS satellites orbit the earth twice a day in a guided precise orbit. These satellites transmit informational signals to earth and being received by the GPS navigator.
8. GPS satellites were placed high above the earth's surface (about 11,000 miles above earth) to eliminate any interference due to the geometry of the Earth which will give problems the reception of the GPS signal.
9. There are various types of GPS navigators which are in-dash, handheld, and portable devices.
10. In-dash navigators are devices that are built in a car's dashboard and generally help in giving the direction instructions to the driver.
11. Handheld navigator are gadgets that come in the form of Smartphones such as Waze, Sygic and many more.
12. Portable navigator can be mounted or dismounted from the car's dashboard and can also be used by pedestrians
13. Users can also improve the reception of their GPS system by purchasing more intelligent GPS navigators.
14. You can get 2D and 3D GPS systems
Fun Facts about GPS:
1. In 1992 it was used by the military in Operations Desert Storm
2. Believe it or not, Minnesota scientists have used GPS to study the behavior and feeding habit of deer
3. Surveyors used GPS to measure how much the buildings had shifted after the bombing of Oklahoma City
4. It has settled clashes between land owners
5. It is very helpful in hunting and locating shipwrecks
6. It and its data have revealed that Mt. Everest is getting taller
7. It is in fact the only system nowadays that is accurate enough to give the exact position on Earth regardless of chaotic weather outside or anytime possible.
8. A narcotics suspect being arrested after a boxed turtle wearing GPS helped police in Rock Creek Park.
9. There is pet tracker either a collar or backpack device so that you can track your straying or lost pets and hopefully find them
10. Now GPS is installing location based games into their hand held units to give the user an interactive way to use the system
11. You can also put in the GPS tracker in your family member's car so that you can locate their position anytime.