European Union officers will talk about later a co-ordinated response to a brand new, extra infectious coronavirus variant within the UK, which has led many nations to impose journey bans.
Germany, France and Italy are amongst these to droop flights from the UK. Outbound prepare companies by means of the Channel Tunnel have additionally been halted.
Canada can be blocking UK flights.
Well being officers say the brand new variant is as much as 70% extra transmissible, however there is no such thing as a proof that it’s extra lethal.
There may be additionally no proof to counsel that it reacts in another way to vaccines.
UK Well being Secretary Matt Hancock stated the brand new variant was “getting uncontrolled”, whereas Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands introduced that they had already detected it.
The European Council assembly of presidency representatives is predicted to happen at 10:00 GMT. The pace at which governments have introduced their bans on travellers from the UK exhibits the dimensions of the alarm, the BBC’s Gavin Lee in Brussels studies.
Additionally on Monday, the EU’s medicines regulator is predicted to suggest approving the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine to be used in all 27 states.
The European Medicines Company (EMA) is assembly per week early to resolve on the vaccine which is already being administered within the UK and within the US.
If it provides the inexperienced mild, official approval from the European Fee is predicted to comply with on Wednesday and vaccine distribution might start in some EU states as early as Sunday.
Which European nations have acted and the way?
France suspended all journey hyperlinks, together with freight lorries, with the UK for 48 hours from midnight (23:00 GMT) on Sunday. Hundreds of lorries transfer between the nations every single day.
Eurotunnel stated it could droop entry to its Folkestone terminal for site visitors heading to Calais. Folks booked to journey on Monday can get a refund. Trains will nonetheless run from Calais to Folkestone.
The ferry terminal at Dover is now closed for all accompanied traffic leaving the UK until further notice due to the French restrictions. UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will chair a Cobra emergency response meeting to debate the problem on Monday.
Different nations took completely different motion in response to the brand new virus variant:
- Denmark suspended flights from the UK for 48 hours starting at 09:00 GMT on Monday.
- The Netherlands is banning all passenger flights from the UK till 1 January “on the newest”. Ferry passengers arriving from the UK may also be barred, though freight will proceed
- Within the Republic of Eire, flights arriving from Britain are banned for 48 hours no less than from midnight on Sunday and other people have been requested to not “journey to Eire, by air or sea”. Ferry crossings for freight will proceed
- In Germany, planes from the UK haven’t been allowed to land since midnight on Sunday, though cargo is exempt
- Belgium halted flights and trains from the UK from midnight for no less than 24 hours
- Italy has blocked all flights from the UK till 6 January
- Turkey has briefly banned all flights from the UK as has Switzerland
- Austria will ban flights from the UK from 23:00 GMT on Monday and anybody arriving within the nation earlier than that time should quarantine for 10 days
- Bulgaria has suspended flights to and from the UK from midnight with the ban to proceed till 31 January
- Canada has suspended entry of all passenger flights from the UK for 72 hours, efficient from midnight (05:00 GMT). Passengers who arrived in Canada from the UK on Sunday can be “topic to secondary screening and enhanced measures, together with elevated scrutiny of quarantine plans”, it stated.
- Hong Kong, Israel, Iran, Croatia, Argentina, Chile, Morocco and Kuwait introduced in restrictions on UK journey
- Saudi Arabia has suspended all worldwide flights for one week due to the pandemic
What do we all know concerning the new variant?
The brand new variant was first detected in September. In November it made up round 1 / 4 of instances in London. This reached practically two-thirds of instances in mid-December.
Three issues are coming collectively that imply it’s attracting consideration:
- It’s quickly changing different variations of the virus
- It has mutations that have an effect on a part of the virus more likely to be vital
- A few of these mutations have already been proven within the lab to extend the power of the virus to contaminate cells
All of those come collectively to construct a case for a virus that may unfold extra simply. Nevertheless, we would not have absolute certainty. New strains can turn into extra widespread just by being in the correct place on the proper time – comparable to London.
This variant is unusually extremely mutated. The most certainly rationalization is it emerged in a affected person with a weakened immune system that was unable to beat the virus.
There isn’t any proof but to counsel the variant makes the an infection extra lethal, and no less than for now the developed vaccines will nearly actually work in opposition to it.
Nevertheless, if the virus modifications so it dodges the complete impact of the vaccine, then “vaccine escape” occurs, and this can be essentially the most regarding aspect.
You may additionally discover fascinating
How are the brand new restrictions affecting you? Share your experiences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please embrace a contact quantity in case you are prepared to talk to a BBC journalist. You may as well get in contact within the following methods: