The pain and discomforting symptoms of hemorrhoids are better avoided than experienced at all.
If you are in your middle age then you are prone to developing hemorrhoids especially if one of your first degree relatives like your brothers, sisters or parents has the disease.
The good news however is that you can prevent hemorrhoids no matter how prone you are if you can apply the following tips to your life:
1. Shed excessive weight and maintain an average weight if you are overweight. Excessive body weight increases the pressure on your butt when you seat down making your anal and rectal veins predisposed to excessive ballooning out to form inflamed piles vessels.
2. Take adequate rest after hard days work and avoid unnecessary stress by over working yourself.
3. Drink lots of water and fluids daily. You can take fruit juices as fluids; you must, however, avoid alcoholic and caffeinated drinks as these kind of drinks will only make you urinate excessively and loose more water than normal.
4. Change the toilet in your house to the Indian styled toilet which makes you squat when you are defecating. If you can not change your toilet you should endeavor to place your feet on a stool and you should lean forward when you are seated on the toilet bowl.
This posture makes your anal and rectal pathway straighter thus easing the smooth passage of feces out of the body.
5. Avoid excessive straining during defecation. If necessary you can take liquid paraffin to lubricate your anus and to make the process of defecation smoother. You should not spend more than five to ten minutes at time on the toilet when you are trying to defecate, if you don’t pass out feces quickly you should get up from the closet and walk around the house till the urge to defecate comes back strongly before you sit down on the toilet bowl again.
6. Take plenty of fruits like berries, citrus fruits like oranges, lemons etc. You can also eat fruits like papaya and mangoes. You should also take lots of green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, lettuce, kale etc.
7. Live an active life. Avoid sitting down on standing up on the same spot for too long. Do simple exercises like jogging, walking and simple aerobics for at least 20 minutes everyday.
Basically the best way to prevent hemorrhoids is to take good care of your body with improved lifestyle habits.