It is difficult to begin exercising again when you have been living a sedentary lifestyle for many years. The good news is that it is never too late to begin exercising for better health and fitness. The biggest hurdle you will need to overcome is your lack of motivation.
Low motivation is what probably kept you from exercising in the first place. For a majority of people, exercise is not considered fun. Most of the time, we are not going to do things that do not bring some type of joy to our lives.
You can break out of your exercise rut with a few motivational tips below:
1. Get a Physical – Nothing gets you motivated like having your doctor tell you that your cholesterol is high or that you need to shed some pounds. When you hear it from your doctor, chances are, you will be motivated to take action.
2. Walk Don’t Run – If the thought of jumping into an exercise program terrifies you, just keep it simple and start walking each day. Once you you can walk at a moderate pace for 30 minutes or more, step it up to a light jog, then work up to a run.
3. Get Some Music – Nothing motivates me more than working out to my own playlist. I suggest purchasing an MP3 player and loading it up with your favorite songs. You will be amazed how music makes the time fly and pushes you to do more.
4. Learn a New Activity – Make exercise fun by learning a new sport like tennis, martial arts, or boxing. These activities get you in shape and you won’t realize it because you’re actually enjoying yourself.
5. Become a Pro – Have you always wanted to run a marathon or become a bodybuilder? How about a black belt in Tae kwon do? Whatever your dream, it doesn’t matter how out of shape you are now, start training and become an expert.
You can avoid exercise ruts by making exercise a habit, just like brushing your teeth. Once it becomes a habit, it is much more difficult to break.