The world of web application development is filled with a multitude of platforms, programming languages and systems; each with their benefits and disadvantages. While there are various web development frameworks such as Django, Ruby on Rails and Node.JS; the de-facto web development platform even in this day and age is PHP. The stock configuration of PHP is archaic, with various paradigms and modern programming concepts missing from the system. However, the extreme modularity of PHP allows developers to create their own web frameworks and solutions on top of the language. Some of the most popular PHP frameworks include Laravel, Yii PHP Framework, Symfony PHP Framework, and CakePHP. As of 2018, CakePHP is one of the most popular web frameworks for the development of custom content management solutions and integrated social networking solutions for various organizations. For a large number of high-quality web applications, CakePHP development has become the mainstay of developers worldwide.
What is CakePHP?
CakePHP is an open-source PHP framework which uses the MVC (Model-View-Controller) approach for web application development. The framework is highly inspired by the Ruby on Rails concept, and has garnered praise for its simplicity as well as extensibility. CakePHP has been used extensively by Fortune 500 software companies such as Cisco and Corel Inc. as well as by other organizations including anti-virus makers BitDefender, car dealership autotrader.com and men’s fashion magazine Mens Health.
Benefits of CakePHP Framework
CakePHP offers a plethora of benefits for developers compared to traditional archaic PHP development modules. Some of the most important features, advantages and benefits of CakePHP are:
- MVC Pattern: CakePHP allows for models; with a specific model class which can be used to insert, update, delete or read data from the database. The view sub-system handles data rendering on the screen while the controller processes and responds to events as well as modify data before interacting with the models. Such a system allows for easy separation of the logic of the web application from the presentation, which makes development faster for large applications and complex websites.
- Object Relational Mapping: CakePHP supports object-relational mapping which improves the way developers can create web apps easily. Object-relational mapping infers to a programming technique, especially in object-oriented programming where each object is mapped to a specific data type using a relational model, and the data type can be easily modified to suit the requirements of the developer.
- Auto-Detection: The joy of CakePHP development is the minimal effort spent by the developer in configuration of the system. Every sub-directory and its contents within the accessible directory are auto-detected by CakePHP, including custom scripts. The developer only has to set up the database and its connections to CakePHP, and the framework takes care of the rest.
- Extensibility: One of the greatest benefits of modern programming languages is their extensibility through modules, libraries and plug-ins. This ensures that for large portions of the code, the developer need not ‘re-invent the wheel’ and write functions and classes from scratch. The modular nature of CakePHP allows developers to re-use code, with additional modules and components easily integrated by the framework using its autodetection toolkit.
- Ajax Support: Modern web applications often need to exchange data between the client and the server even while the application is running on the browser. Traditional PHP refreshes the page each time new data is received from the server: a huge disadvantage for developing web-based applications such as spreadsheets, word processors and email clients. AJAX allows for asynchronous exchange of data, and has become a standard practice for web developers to create rich and immersive web applications. CakePHP natively supports AJAX and can be used in various ways, including forms, events, and even model relationship events.?
With modern web applications becoming as feature-rich and complex as their mobile and desktop counterparts, the benefits provided by a modern web framework such as Cake PHP development efforts considerably, while adding modern programming concepts and paradigms to languages such as PHP, breathing fresh life into them.