The fighter many pundits feel is the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time begins his 2020 campaign Saturday, Feb. 8. Jon “Bones” Jones defends his light heavyweight title against No. 4-ranked Dominick Reyes in the main event of UFC 247 at the Toyota Center in Houston. The co-main event features another championship affair when Valentina Shevchenko puts the women’s flyweight belt on the line vs. No. 1-ranked Katlyn Chookagian.
Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a year
Jones (25-1, one no-contest) returns after going 2-0 in 2019, with a unanimous decision victory over Anthony Smith at UFC 235 and a narrow split-decision win against Thiago Santos at UFC 239 in one of the best fights of the year. UFC 247 marks Jones’ fourth contest inside of 14 months. Jones teased on Monday on the “Ariel Helwani MMA Show” that if he gets by Reyes, he would look to challenge UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic for his next fight.
Standing in the way of Jones’ mission is the 30-year-old Reyes (12-0), who last fought in October, when he finished former middleweight titleholder, Chris Weidman, in under two minutes. Out of his six UFC contests, Reyes’ emerged the winner four times via stoppage.
Can Reyes become the first person to beat Jones truly? Or does Jones continue his dominance at 205 pounds?
UFC 247 live results, updates
9:33 p.m.: The champ is here.
9:30 p.m.: Welcome to Sporting News’ live coverage of UFC 247, headlined by the return of Jon Jones, as he defends the light heavyweight championship against Dominick Reyes. Grab the refreshments, sit back, relax and enjoy what should be an exciting night of action.
UFC 247 undercard results
- Khaos Williams def. Alex Morono via knockout at 0:27 of the first-round; Welterweight
- Mario Bautista def. Miles Johns by TKO at 1:41 of the second-round TKO; Bantamweight
- Journey Newson def. Domingo Pilarte via TKO at 0:38 of the first-round; Bantmaweight
- Andre Ewell def. Jonathan Martinez by split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28); Bantamweight
- Youssef Zalal def. Austin Lingo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27); Featherweight
UFC 247 fight card
- Jon Jones (c) vs. Dominick Reyes for Jones’ Light Heavyweight title
- Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Katlyn Chookagian for Shevchenko’s Women’s Flyweight title
- Juan Adams vs. Justin Tafa; Heavyweight
- Mirsad Bektić vs. Dan Ige; Featherweight
- Derrick Lewis vs. Ilir Latifi; Heavyweight
- Trevin Giles vs. James Krause; Middleweight
- Alex Morono vs. Kalinn Williams; Welterweight
- Lauren Murphy vs. Andrea Lee; Women’s Flyweight
- Mario Bautista vs. Miles Johns; Bantamweight
- Bantamweight Miles Johns vs. Mario Bautista
- Bantamweight Journey Newson vs. Domingo Pilarte
- Bantamweight Andre Ewell vs. Jonathan Martinez
- Austin Lingo vs. Youssef Zalal; Featherweight