After an exhilarating quarterfinal stage, we’re right down to the ultimate 4 international locations that retain hope of profitable Euro 2020. The semifinals start on Tuesday, with Spain taking up Italy and England dealing with Denmark the next day.
ESPN units out what you might want to know in regards to the two ties, all of which stream LIVE on ESPN networks and ESPN+, whereas our specialists additionally predict what the semifinals will appear like.
Soar to: England vs. Denmark
Italy vs. Spain
Tuesday: 3 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. CET (ESPN, ESPN+)
How they bought there: Spain received arguably the very best recreation of the event within the spherical of 16 towards Croatia — a wild 5-Three victory in additional time — however they struggled towards Switzerland within the subsequent spherical, regardless of the magic of Pedri, and solely went via on penalties. Towards the Swiss, they did not present sufficient management or offensive sharpness, and we noticed among the issues that had dogged them within the group stage.
Italy additionally received one of many video games of the event within the quarterfinals towards Belgium — a match filled with high quality from begin to end. Of their first actual check to this point on this Euros, Roberto Mancini’s aspect did nice issues with the ball whereas maintaining stable defensively. Italy have impressed all via this event even when Austria pushed them to additional time within the spherical of 16.
Italy keys to victory: Italy have two keys to win this recreation: their midfield and defence. The midfield is their predominant energy and certainly the very best within the competitors (alongside Spain’s). Marco Verratti, Jorginho and Nicolo Barella have all of it: work fee, inventive magic, intelligence, positioning, management and ball abilities. Italy have been sturdy in defence all event and veteran centre-backs Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini have an enormous benefit for this recreation as they know Spain striker Alvaro Morata properly after taking part in with him at Juventus. Gianluigi Donnarumma has been nice in purpose, although left-back Leonardo Spinazzola‘s damage is an enormous blow and his substitute is the less-impressive Emerson.
Spain keys to victory: Spain’s midfield of Koke, Pedri and Sergio Busquets must match Italy’s and look to win the battle in central areas. The opposite key for them is the assault, as a result of Spain will get possibilities and the likes of Morata, Gerard Moreno, Ferran Torres, Pablo Sarabia or Dani Olmo (relying on who begins) must be much more environment friendly than in earlier video games. Spain also needs to look to minimize the best to make the most of Spinazzola not being at left-back.
This recreation’s X issue: The substitutions. With 5 subs allowed (and even a sixth if it goes to additional time), Roberto Mancini and Luis Enrique will be capable of change the course of the sport and, to this point, they’ve each completed properly in that regard. We noticed Federico Chiesa and Matteo Pessina make the distinction for Italy within the spherical of 16 towards Austria when the group wanted one thing completely different. Mikel Oyarzabal and Pau Torres additionally had a very good influence for Spain towards Croatia. It may all come right down to how these two good managers handle the sport. — Julien Laurens.
– Italy 2-1 Spain: Italy have been the strongest group collectively on this Euros, and that energy will prevail towards Spain, even when Spinazzola’s damage is a large blow to how the group performs and defends. — Julien Laurens.
– Italy 1-1 Spain (Italy win on penalties): A good recreation, however Italy ought to nearly edge it ultimately. Each groups have been spectacular, however Italy have had that additional management and high quality of their performances. — Rob Dawson
– Italy 2-Zero Spain: Spain have stumbled into the semifinals following a sequence of unconvincing performances and their assembly with Italy seems like being the top of the highway for Luis Enrique’s group. Italy’s bodily presence and defensive solidity needs to be an excessive amount of for Spain, though they are going to be cautious of the misfiring striker Morata, whose repute stays excessive in Italy due to two good spells with Juventus. — Mark Ogden
– Italy 1-1 Spain (Spain win on penalties): No sturdy emotions right here, however Luis Enrique appears to get the breaks when he wants them. — Gab Marcotti.
– Italy 2-1 Spain: Spain are a bit fortunate to have gotten this far. Italy will miss Spinazzola however can nonetheless end them off. — James Olley.
Steve McManaman and Nedum Onuoha look at how Gareth Southgate has been in a position to alter his England squad all through Euro 2020.
England vs. Denmark
Wednesday: 3 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. CET (ESPN, ESPN+)
How they bought there: Denmark’s development to the semifinals has been really exceptional. Except for the trauma of Christian Eriksen‘s on-field collapse throughout the opening recreation towards Finland, Kasper Hjulmand’s group misplaced their first two group fixtures and wanted a last recreation win towards Russia to squeeze into the knockout phases. However from then on, the Danes have overwhelmed Wales 4-Zero and defeated the Czech Republic 2-1 within the quarterfinal to achieve the ultimate 4.
England have been flawless, with Gareth Southgate’s group but to concede a purpose within the event. However whereas they slowly went via the gears throughout the group stage — scoring simply twice in two wins and a draw — England have constructed critical momentum with a win towards Germany within the spherical of 16 at Wembley earlier than Saturday’s emphatic 4-Zero quarterfinal victory towards Ukraine in Rome.
England keys to victory: Complacency has turn into England’s most harmful opponent. Southgate’s squad is full of high quality in all departments, confidence is excessive they usually even have house benefit at Wembley. However with so many aces up their sleeve, Southgate has admitted that the hazard dealing with his group comes from underestimating their opponents. England have not reached a serious last for the reason that 1966 World Cup, so the stress and expectation can be intense on Wednesday, but when they’ll clean out the off-field distractions, they need to be too sturdy for Denmark.
Denmark keys to victory: Denmark’s collective spirit has been outstanding ever since captain Simon Kjaer urged his teammates to type a circle round Eriksen whereas he was being handled on the pitch following his collapse towards Finland three weeks in the past. However whereas it has carried Denmark a great distance, they’re greater than a tight-knit group. They’re well-organised, stable and with a robust backbone, ranging from goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel. If they’ll fuse their togetherness with their high quality and have big-game performances from Kasper Dolberg, Martin Braithwaite, Thomas Delaney and Yussuf Poulsen, Denmark can win.
This recreation’s X issue: Denmark have received on two of their three visits to England this century — profitable their most up-to-date recreation at Wembley with a 1-Zero victory in October 2020 — so they may journey to London with the boldness of a group that is aware of how one can beat an opponent on their very own turf. Denmark followers can be closely outnumbered on Wednesday, however their help has introduced noise and color to Euro 2020, and they’re going to make themselves heard and seen at Wembley.
– England 3-1 Denmark: Denmark could make this a nervy evening for England if they can frustrate and deny them an early breakthrough. But when England rating first, it’s tough to envisage something however a cushty victory and a spot within the last at Wembley on Sunday. — Mark Ogden
– England 3-1 Denmark: Denmark would be the first group to attain towards England at Euro 2020, however Southgate’s aspect ought to have sufficient firepower to get to a primary main last since 1966. –– Rob Dawson.
– England 1-2 Denmark: Upsets do occur. And in case you consider within the Eriksen fairy story, why not? — Gab Marcotti.
– England 1-Zero Denmark: Count on one other tight recreation at Wembley, however the 60,000-strong crowd may help get England over the road. — James Olley.
– England 1-Zero Denmark: One of the best defence within the event can be too stable defensively for the Danes, who appeared drained within the second half towards Czech Republic. — Julien Laurens.