Eating a balanced diet is an important factor during any pregnancy. The proper amount of nutrition can be responsible for maintaining a healthy development in the unborn child. Women tend to lose many nutrients quickly when they are pregnant, because the baby is absorbing a great amount of these nutrients from the mother’s body. It is important to constantly replenish these nutrients throughout the day. Nutrition during pregnancy is one of the top priorities in maintaining a healthy pregnancy, and can seriously reduce the risk of complications. Many women underestimate the power of a healthy diet. Below is a list of the top ten nutritious foods to eat while pregnant.
- Edamame – These are packed full of nutrition needed during pregnancy. They have a good amount of protein which is found from the soy. They are a healthy alternative to many snack foods, and can even be served as a side dish to any meal.
- Mozzarella Cheese – This type of cheese provides a healthy serving of dairy. It has calcium and protein, which is important to consume while pregnant. This type of cheese can be easily taken on the go for a snack or as a part of lunch.
- Yogurt – This is another food that provides a great source of calcium along with protein. Maintaining nutrition during pregnancy means getting enough of these two nutrients during the day. This can be a great way to enjoy breakfast or even a snack in between meals.
- Nuts – Walnuts and almonds offer important nutrients such as magnesium and potassium. These can be added to a diet for great nutrition during pregnancy.
- Whole Grains – Every pregnant woman should eat six to eight servings of whole grains each day. Unless there are complications in a pregnancy such as gestational diabetes, this is important to include in any diet during pregnancy.
- Apples – Apples offer a great source of nutrients. They are a fruit full of nutrients. Apples offer vitamins A and C along with many other great benefits such as fiber.
- Green Leafy Vegetables – This offers an important source of iron and folic acid, which are both essential to a healthy pregnancy, and baby.
- Beans – This can offer a great alternative source of protein to meat. Many vegetarians receive a large amount of their protein through beans. It is healthy for any person to consume an adequate amount of beans such as lentils, garbanzo beans and pinto beans in their diet.
- Avocados – They provide a great source of folic acid along with many other health benefits. They are high in the good fats, which can help to absorb the vitamins and minerals received in the body through food. Avocados can be added to any salad or as a side dish to almost any meal. They work great as a snack food or as a topping to a meal.
- Broccoli – This is one of the best vegetables offering loads of vitamin A and calcium, which are both needed for health bones and development of a baby. Pregnant women should consume broccoli as a part of their normal diet.
During the first doctor’s visit for a pregnant woman, they usually go over the importance of nutrition during pregnancy. It is important to eat a variety of foods. A good rule of thumb is to eat a rainbow of food coloring to get all the adequate nutrition. Taking prenatal vitamins can maintain proper amounts of nutrition during pregnancy. This is also a good way to maintain the health of the baby as well as the mother throughout the duration of the pregnancy.