Meals Community has at all times embraced LGBTQ+ folks — each on-camera and within the government suite — and I’m proud to be a part of the household. These values have been additionally true of my first TV house on Bravo, whose unique ‘Queer Eye for the Straight Man’ was the rationale my husband and I uprooted our lives in Chicago and moved to New York Metropolis.
Shortly after Queer Eye ended, I used to be judging Bravo’s ‘High Chef’ in Miami after I first skilled shrimp and grits. This recipe is my tackle the basic however made with grilled sea scallops, crispy bacon, contemporary arugula, grilled polenta, and avocado assembled right into a easy summer season salad that’s excellent for serving as a aspect or a principal. Because the Fab 5 at all times mentioned, “Cheers, queers!”
Grilled Polenta Squares
2 cups hen broth
1 cup complete milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely floor yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Scallops and Arugula Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 sea scallops, aspect muscle groups eliminated
Three slices smoked cured bacon, chopped
¼ cup finely minced chives
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
2 cups contemporary arugula
1 Hass avocado, pitted and minimize into massive items
1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
Freshly floor black pepper
1. Make the polenta squares: Grease an 8-inch sq. baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium pot over excessive warmth, mix the hen broth, milk, and butter and convey to a boil. Slowly whisk within the cornmeal, then scale back the warmth to low and proceed whisking for about 5 minutes, till the cornmeal has thickened and all of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir within the salt. Switch the combination to the ready baking dish and unfold in a fair layer. Refrigerate for at the least 2 hours or as much as in a single day, till set.
3. Make the scallops: Warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium warmth.Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel and season with salt on either side. Sear the scallops for about Four minutes, flipping midway, till golden brown and opaque. Switch the scallops to a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Add the bacon to the pan and cook dinner till brown and crispy, about Four minutes. Switch to a small bowl lined with paper towels to empty. Pour out all however 1 tablespoon of extra fats from the pan. Add half the chives, the garlic, and lemon juice to the pan. Cook dinner for two minutes, till the chives start to brown, then take away the pan from the warmth.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with the remaining chives, avocado, remaining tablespoon olive oil, and the champagne vinegar. Season to style with salt and pepper.
6. Warmth a grill pan or griddle over medium warmth. Minimize the polenta into 4 4-inch squares, and brush either side with olive oil. Grill the polenta till warmed by and grill marks seem, about Three minutes per aspect.
7. Organize the polenta squares on a serving platter together with the scallops, bacon, and the arugula and avocado salad. Drizzle with the pan sauce, and season with black pepper. Serve instantly