Constipation in dogs is not restricted to age or size or breed specific. It can occur to any kind of dog at any stage of life. In simple words when your dog is unable to pass stool easily from the body, he is suffering from constipation. The little amount of waste evacuated could be dark color and hard, or at times even after pushing hard or forcing, there is no excrement seen.
When the pet isn’t able to defecate properly for up to three consecutive days, pet parents shouldn’t ignore this condition. Not addressing constipation issue in your pooch can turn to bigger problems often leading to appetite loss, laziness and weight loss.
Usually not providing proper diet or lack of fiber in his diet or not drinking enough water leads to this problem. There are numerous causes for constipation in dogs.
The most common reasons for dog’s constipation are as follows:
- Blocked or abscessed anal sacs
- Enlarged prostate gland, which is often seen in elderly dogs or ailments related to kidneys
- Excessive self-grooming can cause large amounts of hair to collect in the stool
- Dehydration due to other illnesses
- Intrinsic reasons include nerve or pelvic injury apart from the injury of the colon muscles
- A large intestine can be blocked due to the presence of tumor inside
- Hernias that can build up in the rectum
- A change in pet’s routine or overall environment can bring stress that may lead to problems including constipation
- Side effects of medication or a surgery or a supplement
- Ingested gravel, stones, bones, dirt, plants or pieces of toys, etc. caught in the intestinal tract
Treatment to Control Constipation
Mild laxative is quite useful in reducing constipation. The amount of using laxative depends on the size of the dog.
The most effect remedy for controlling constipation is Pumpkin. By feeding pumpkin to your pet is a great way to prevent and treat constipation. Pumpkin is high in water content and a great source of fiber.
Numerous nutritional supplements will aid in curing a dog’s constipation. These supplements usually contain additives such as acidophilus, folic acid, and vegetable enzymes, which helps in easy passage of stool.
Increased exercise helps to boost metabolism which is greatly useful to reduce the chances of constipation.
Supply of Drinking Water
Adequate supply of liquids mainly water helps to reduce constipation issue and improves bowel movement.
Increased amount of dog fiber helps to pass stool easily with no restrictions. Bran also works same as pumpkin rich in fiber as a preventive, when given to dog regularly in his diet.
Enema treatment has to be given only after consulting your vet. In this procedure a fluid is injected into the rectum via anus for evacuation of waste or cleansing of bowel.
Milk of Magnesia
This medication greatly helps against the problem of constipation. A small amount can reduce the chance of constipation.
Lubricating the colon is the most effective traditional way that works perfectly till today in controlling constipation. Mineral oil is the best lubricant that has been used for ages. As per vet’s advice it has to be mixed with food rather than feeding raw.
Acupuncture and Massage
Recently, massage and acupuncture work wonders in cases of constipation. It helps to reduce constipation and improves digestion.
With the help of these treatments, you can surely help control and prevent constipation issue in your furry pal. If you’re not able to figure out the reason behind your dog’s stool issue or find the right solution for this problem, consult your vet at the earliest for this issue.