Traveling, mixing and meeting with new people and culture has great advantages. Just from my trip to Nigeria, I have learnt a lot of new things and will like to share with my friends on here. The Zobo juice is one of the new things I was introduced to and also I was giving the opportunity to learn how to prepare it. The Zobo juice is a Nigerian beverage made from dried Roselle plant flower.
Zobo juice Ingredients
- 2 900g cups of dry Roselle leaves
- 1 glove of garlic
- 1 big ripe pineapple
- 1 big piece of garlic
- A bucket of water
Getting the ingredients ready
- Wash the dry leave in cold water to remove all dust, it may seem like the flavor and color of the flower has been washed off, but no it has not, wait till you start to boil it
- Wash, dress and dice the pineapple into thin pieces. Some people add the pineapple peel to taste but I do not because I feel it takes too much time and effort to be washed clean, before adding to the ingredient.
- Dress and dice the ginger and garlic also
How to make the Juice
- Put the washed leaves into a pot
- Add the pineapples and pour water to cover the pot's content
- Cook at medium heat and let it boil for about 7 minutes
- Add the ginger and garlic to the content of the pot
- Add more water and keep boiling for another 25 to 30 minutes (time for the leaves and pineapple to soften and be fully extracted)
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool
- Sieve out the leaves and pineapples after it is cool, leaving just the juice in the pot
- Then pour the juice through a chiffon cloth to remove the remaining particles
- Add any extra flavor of your to taste and stir
- Pour into smaller containers and refrigerate
Serve it cold and chilling to enjoy the taste
Do's and Don'ts while preparing
Hope my Nigeria experience will produce a good juice recipe
- D o not add sugar: I prefer to keep my beverages as natural as possible, because that is the essence of making it personally. The zobo juice has a sour taste which can be damaged by adding sugar.
- You may add other sweeteners to taste, depending on what you want.
- You can add sliced citrus fruits such as lemon, lime and oranges to taste.